MB Bch BAO, MRCS, MMed (Orth), FRCS (Orth)
- HMDP in Foot and Ankle Surgery in Clinique La Colline & Hospital de La Tour, Geneva, Switzerland
- Started Foot and Ankle Surgery Service in KKH 2013
- Chairman KKH Annual ASM Symposium 2013
- Faculty Singhealth GP symposium -SHP-6P symposium 2014
- Chairman KKH Symposium, N Bala Invitational lectureship 2015 with Prof Vincent Mosca as Invited speaker
- Faculty AOFAS Symposium 2016, with Prof Mathieu Assal as an invited speaker
- Committee Member, MOH Pediatrics Standard Setting Committee
- Examiner, MMED Ortho
- Exam Committee, FRCS Ortho
He started Speciality Training in 2005, obtained his Masters of Medicine in Orthopaedic Surgery in 2008 from the National University of Singapore, and completed his training and FRCS (Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh) Orthopaedic exams in 2011.
Dr Tay was subsequently awarded the MOH HMDP (Health Manpower Development Programme) award for further Subspecialty Training in the field of Foot and Ankle Surgery for all ages, in Geneva, Switzerland, under the personal mentorship and tutelage of then Swiss Foot and Ankle Society Chairman, PD Prof Mathieu Assal, in Clinique La Colline as well as Hopital de La Tour.
Exposure to a wider plethora of deformities and their required corrections, as well as being ahead of burgeoning and minimally-invasive techniques, gave Dr Tay the experience, exposure and skills he now brings back to our shores.
Upon his return to Singapore and KK Hospital in 2013, he set up the Foot and Ankle Service which he continues to serve as a regular Visiting Consultant. Dr Tay would personally oversee the treatment and care of the myriad of foot and ankle conditions afflicting patients of all ages, be it Deformities, Sports injuries or Trauma. He would continue to serve in the KKH Paediatric Orthopaedics Department till end 2016.
He moved to the TTSH Orthopaedics Surgery Department in Nov 2016, continuing his work in Foot and Ankle Surgery.
Dr Tay has a keen interest in staying ahead of burgeoning techniques and is constantly brainstorming ways to improve surgeries and techniques. He is also keen to share his discoveries and improvements with the community.
To that end, he has posters on the following:
- Percutaneous Modified Brostrum-Gould Repair for Lateral Ankle Ligament Reconstruction, presented in EFAS 2018, Geneva, Switzerland & AOTAP Scientific Congress 2019, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Use of CT 3D Navigation in the Retrograde Drilling of Tibial Plafond Osteochondral Lesion presented in Swedish Orthopaedics Meeting 2019.
- Modified Ollier’s approach with Allograft Bone Graft in the treatment of Intra-articular Calcaneal Fractures, Shanghai, China 2019.
Dr Tay believes in the imparting of knowledge to his juniors and medical students, as advocated in the Hippocratic Oath, and has been heavily involved in the teaching of Students and Junior Doctors.
He was conferred the title of Adjunct Asst Prof by both Duke-NUS as well as NUS-YLL and has been the education lead for the latter. He has won teaching awards and has been faculty for the residency training program in Orthopaedics for both Singhealth as well as National Healthcare Group.
He has been a regular examiner for the annual final MBBS exams and has been an examiner for the Orthopaedic MMED exam as well. He has also been on the FRCS exam committee since 2017.
Appointments past and present
- Senior Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, Tan Tock Seng Hospital
- Visiting Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon, KK Hospital
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Duke-NUS
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, NUS-YLL
- Education Lead, NUS-YLL
- Clinical Lecturer, Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine, Singapore
- PGY1 core faculty, NHG-TTSH
- Faculty, Orthopaedic Residency Program, Singhealth
- Faculty, Orthopaedic Residency Program, NHG
- Committee Member, Pediatrics Standard Setting Committee, MOH
- Patient Safety Lead, KK Hospital
- FRCS Ortho, Exam Committee
- Examiner, MMED Ortho
- 4th Health Technology Advisory Committee (HTAC) Subcommittee Member
- Member of the Medical Specialist Panel for Orthopaedic Surgery, Work Injury Compensation Medical Board
- Orthopaedic Clinician Workgroup (MTAC) Member
- Member AO Trauma
- Member Singapore AO FAS (Foot and Ankle Society)
- Ministry of Health, HMDP (Human Manpower Development Program)
- Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh
- Master of Medicine in Orthopaedics, NUS
- Specialist Accreditation Board Orthopaedics
- Metta Hospice since 2005